Welcome to Unreal Aussies!

We are a community of like minded gamers in the Oceanic region.

We play a wide variety of games and provide a fun, social atmosphere for all our members!

Important New officer positions open

Discussion in 'Heroes of the Storm' started by Agamemnus, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Agamemnus

Agamemnus Administrator
    Unreal Officer

Unreal Credits:
    For those that haven't noticed, the player count has risen to a point where I struggle to run everything that we would like to do. So I'm opening up some positions for HotS.

I will be contacting some people that I'm interested in over the next couple of weeks. But for those who want to step up and put themselves out there, here's the things I'm looking for.

• Video producers. Somebody who can film matches, edit them and put them online. Check our YouTube channel for examples on how I do this already. Quality is valued above all else, I'm not overly keen on somebody who just turns on a stream of their screen and presents 4 hours a day of relatively boring gameplay. Streaming has to be interesting. If it's not entertaining in some way then you need to be at least master-level solo, or that of an official uA team (no matter what rank). This will be valued at a uA level and will carry respect in the future should you move to new games. It's not a game-officer position, but a media producer one. If you do a better job than me, you can take over completely and it will be your baby.
    • Commentators. This takes a bit of practice, so feel free to turn up to a few in-house nights for some trials. We will start with the in-house matches, but a good commentator will be included in discussions about how to run our tournaments, BeyondBlue events, and possibly those of other games in the future. If you regularly do a good job, I'll happily help you create other events you want to design. I hate to do this, but females get preference, even more so if you have a webcam. Hate the market, not the shop-keep. This is not an officer position in itself, but can lead to a general officer privilege.
    • Team captains. The way this works, is a captain selects a team, they make a regular event or night and we pop it into the calendar here on the website. During that time, people who signed up for the team are expected to follow the team captain's rules. Let's say there's a rule about posting an absence 3 days before the event, and you only post it 30 minutes before start, then you failed your obligation and the team captain can kick you from the team. It can be for fun, it can be hardcore, that doesn't matter, but it needs to be once a week. The rest of the time just do whatever you do already. Nakid can be captain but Pointy can be the shot-caller during the match. It can work anyway you like. You can have a separate channel in Discord for privacy during the event time, but avoid using it on other days because that's unsociable, and we all know how I feel about that. This is an event-officer position sort of thing. You are the boss of your event, but outside of it you're just like everybody else. I don't care if your team is Bronze league because you have a Cho-Gall theme, that's fine, "you do you boo". It just needs to be regular and organised.
    • HotS officer (currently filled). This is ongoing. You'll be the same rank as Fenix, Aadra and Chuck, and get all the powers associated with that. Fenix has been solid and does the job, but unfortunately as a chef he works a lot of evenings and the player-count is getting big big biiiiig. You will be responsible for handling meltdowns if they happen while you're there. You'll be expected to help out with events like the in-house night, where sometimes if there's 1 too many players, you take one for the team and commentate. Help people who need it, if new recruits are looking for friends, get them into a party, get them into Discord, make them feel welcome. If you're a rager, don't apply, the only rager we are happy with being officer is Stricko and you are not him. You will need to hold your tongue sometimes, trust me. Recruitment is good too, but Fenix has this covered so you don't have to stress about it. An Officer's job in general is to grow uA, which means being friendly, inclusive and active. You don't ALWAYS have to be perfect, but you do need to make an effort that I will notice. Ultimately, you will help me with whatever I want you to, if you are concerned about being my slave, have a chat with Fenix about how he finds it. Before I was an admin I was an officer for League of Legends. If you want to become a big part of this community, involved in general events, decisions and get preference to lead the start-up of new games, then Officer is the place to begin.

All that said, bear in mind I already have a few people I want to talk to. This is here for people who want to step-up, but don't know how. If somebody else gets the job, don't take it to heart, you WILL get another chance. Some ideas are fantastic and lovely and grand, but they are not possible with the resources we have. For example, I'd love to captain a team that plays in Blizzcon and gets sponsors, it's not hard to WANT that, but don't ask to be a captain because you want it, WE ALL DO ALREADY. Instead, ask for the job because you can DO IT. Make sense?

I will give a chance to anybody who convinces me they can increase the fun-level in uA, or exposure of uA to the world. Maybe even if you can make something cool happen inside the HotS group. Small things help the big things happen.

Finally, if you take a role and you find it's too hard or time consuming, then give it up and let somebody else try. Trust me, if you are struggling, somebody else has noticed and I don't want to come over one day and say "hey, you need to take a break". Save me the embarrassing conversation and let us know you're struggling BEFORE we see it ourselves. We all know what it's like to suddenly start struggling at work, or uni, or with your wife & kids. There could be any number of reasons. But if you aren't doing the job, it's not personal, it's just that somebody who can should be given the job instead. Most officers who are no longer officers are so NOT because they did something wrong, but because REAL LIFE changed their GAME LIFE, and this is OK, it is normal and it's not bad.

Finally, one thing needs to be said. If you have an idea and I like it, you get the job. I will help you start it up, I will put in time to make your idea come to life. But after a while, I will ask myself, "Am I just doing almost all the work to make somebody else's idea happen? Is there something else I'd rather do myself?" Don't let me answer this with a yes. It means I will probably not like you forever. If you realise you can't do what you thought you would do, admit it, cut our losses and move on. Think of an easier project if you like. But don't let me be the one who has to cut it for you.

#1 Agamemnus, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Admin Like Admin Like x 1
  2. Pointy

Pointy HotS Officer
    Officer

Unreal Credits:
    Hmmm - needs more colour

I also acknowledge I am not @Stricko

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Stressedcal

Stressedcal Member

Unreal Credits:
    I'm good at video editing but I assume it will be mostly HoTS and I don't know that game at all.

4. Agamemnus

Agamemnus Administrator
    Unreal Officer

Unreal Credits:
    I am personally looking for HotS officers. If you want to do it for another game we can still have a chat?

5. BFG001

BFG001 New Member

Unreal Credits:
    Okay, so i have been saving alot of video gameplays of awesome moments that i have seen laterly, i know how to save them but i dont know how to edit them all into one video..add background music or even an intro.. but im happy to send the replays to an UA Officer to edit them all into a big video of mashed up replays.
    let us know.

6. Agamemnus

Agamemnus Administrator
    Unreal Officer

Unreal Credits:
    Hey mate, we've spoken about this briefly before. There's a few things to keep in mind.
    1. You can encode the videos yourself first, and I can glue them together and add an introduction then put them on YouTube.
    2. I can teach you how to do it yourself.
    If you wanna go with option #1, then so be it. You can send me a clip as an example so that I can check your encoder settings, then I'll let you know what I can do with them.

If you wanna try out option #2, then there's a few ways it can happen. https://unrealaussies.com/threads/t...-encoding-and-streaming-guide.1043/#post-3604 <- This thread in post number 10, has a tutorial on how to join your clips together using a program called AVIDemux. It takes a few minutes to get used to the controls and settings, but once you have it, you can merge clips together really really quick. Best of all, it has the option to not re-encode them, so you never lose quality. I can send you the introduction clip and you can join it onto a video, then keep joining more until you get about 10 minutes then upload away. I can get you access to the YouTube channel too.

Option #1 is obviously easier for you. Option #2 means that even if I go to Hawaii for 6 months you will still be able to put the videos on our channel.

7. Stressedcal

Stressedcal Member

Unreal Credits:
    For sure

8. Agamemnus

Agamemnus Administrator
    Unreal Officer

Unreal Credits:
    Excellent. Find me on Discord one night, I'm usually on 3 or 4 nights a week between 7:30 and midnight at some point. Have a plan for what you want to do, what game it's for and we'll figure something out.

9. Agamemnus

Agamemnus Administrator
    Unreal Officer

Unreal Credits:
    Actually, if you read this in time, tomorrow, Sunday the 24th at 7:30 Melb time. Admins are having a meeting so we will all be there.