Welcome to Unreal Aussies!

We are a community of like minded gamers in the Oceanic region.

We play a wide variety of games and provide a fun, social atmosphere for all our members!

Book What are your favourite books?

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Nakid, Aug 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Nakid

Nakid Intrepidus Dux
    Unreal Officer Streamer

Unreal Credits:
    I'm sure many of you have read a good book in your time. I'm sure many of you have read (or not read [​IMG]) an absolute horrible book in your time.

But there are those few series that just stand out for being made up of sheer awesomeness. Post with your favourite series/novels.

For me, the best series I've ever read would have to be The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson. Although the entire series has just over 4,000,000 words, 11,000 pages, over 2000 characters and has been in the making for over 20 years, it is a saga of epicness that never stops (except for the last book, which just came out today [​IMG] ). I would recommend it to anyone that reads high fantasy, and even those that don't. Be prepared for a very very long read that you will thoroughly enjoy. (It is going to take you at least a month or 2 reading normally with the occasional long session - I've read it twice [​IMG] )

The Kingkiller Chronicles trilogy by Patrick Rothfuss would have to be my second favourite series. The narrative is perfect and sets the tone flawlessly. Yet another high fantasy I would recommend to anyone because you will not put the book down.

Next would have to be The Riftwar Saga. The last book of this just came out recently that I'm yet to read, but the first book of the series, Magician, is well known as one of the best books in fantasy of all time.

I wouldn't be able to tell you which one of the following series is better, they are both just brilliant in their own ways. The Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks, The Farseer trilogy and The Tawny Man trilogy by Robin Hobb and finally, Chronicles of the Necromancer trilogy by Gail Z Martin (currently reading the last book of this atm).

There are many other fantasy novels and series I've read, but those ones are definitely the best ones I've read so far.

As for science fiction, I have a bit more of a limited knowledge of good books. Although saying that, I'm pretty sure I've read some of the best sci-fi books of all time.

The best sci-fi series I've read would have to be the Ender's Game trilogy by Orson Scott Card. The first book is a lot more playful and you will not put it down. The last 2 books in the trilogy get more mature and things are a lot more serious. There is also a Shadow Saga by Orson Scott Card, which takes on the views of the other characters from the original book.

My next favourite would have to be the Dune series by Frank Herbert. Lets face it, its a classic. The first book is amazing, the books after that have some really... strange... ideas but they are utilised really well in the story.

Finally, the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov would be my only other favourite in sci-fi. It tells the tale of how civilisations and a galaxy develops and takes on the point of view of many characters across its very long timeframe.

But anyway, what did you guys think about the above books?

• Love It! Love It! x 1
  2. Sherdow

Sherdow New Member

Unreal Credits:
    Anything by Joe Abercrombie, Both his trilogy and stand alones are some of the best reads I've had.
    I will second the Farseer trilogy, and even add the Liveship Traders trilogy by Robin Hobb too.
    otherwise, the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson is another favorite.

Clearly I have a thing for trilogies...

• Love It! Love It! x 1
  3. Agamemnus

Agamemnus Administrator
    Unreal Officer

Unreal Credits:
    If it's by Robert Ranking or the Grant Naylor duo I liked it [​IMG] Been 10 years since I read a book though.

4. Nakid

Nakid Intrepidus Dux
    Unreal Officer Streamer

Unreal Credits:
    I didn't find the Liveship Traders as good as Farseer though. Like it was a good read, I think I was just disappointed because it was the same world, but didn't have Fitz in the story [​IMG]

I definitely need to read Mistborn, I've heard only good things.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Strickonaut

Strickonaut Striquit™

Unreal Credits:
    I would have to say the Elenium and Tamuli series' by David Eddings are my favourites. Followed by The Belgariad and the Mallorean by the same author. A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin is absolutely brilliant and I have also stuck with the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan has kept me occupied and waiting for more for about the last 7-8 years while I waited for each subsequent title to be released.

The Night Angel Trilogy by Brenton Weeks was amazing and I'm looking forward to him continuing the Prism series as the Black Prism was excellent.

The Broken Wll series by Sam Bowring was also an excellent read and a strange spin on the battle between the forces of light and the forces of darkness.

The rangers apprentice series was an extremely good story about a young mans journey as an apprentice of the greatest of the kings rangers, an elite group of warriors that excel at marksmanship, espionage, tracking, leadership and pretty much anything else you can think of.

• Love It! Love It! x 1
  6. Nakid

Nakid Intrepidus Dux
    Unreal Officer Streamer

Unreal Credits:

7. Nakid

Nakid Intrepidus Dux
    Unreal Officer Streamer

Unreal Credits:
    My favorite series of all time (which I'm still going through) is Steve Erikson's 'Malazan, Book of the Fallen' series. It's a super-fantasy-geekfest with dragons, magic, lots of death, boobs and more death entwined in a thick story plot with badass quotes and names... If you like your fantasy, this is a must.

One thing I love about long series, is that there is just so much depth and story to come. This series is always on the move and isn't afraid to kill off characters you love and keep characters you hate. it is after all... 'Book of the Fallen'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malazan_Book_of_the_Fallen

First book is Gardens of the Moon.

Some names and quotes to tickle your fancy without any spoilers...

Whiskeyjack
    Quickben
    Tattersail
    Coltaine
    Icarium & Mappo

"Ambition is not a dirty word. Piss on compromise. Go for the throat."

-

Kallor shrugged. ‘If that would help. More directly, however, you seem to forget my... experience. For all that I seem to grate upon all of you, I have walked this land when the T’lan Imass were but children. I have commanded armies ahundred thousand strong. I have spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?’

‘Yes.You never learn, Kallor.’

-

and finally

"Well, where are all our weapons?"
    "We don't have any weapons, master."
    "None? Did we ever?"
    "No. Some wooden spoons..."
    "And are you adept with them?"
    "Very."

Enjoy!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mufussaa

Mufussaa New Member

Unreal Credits:
    Favourites ..! so many to choose from: Top 7

DUNE - Frank Herbert
    Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) - George Martin
    Riftwar saga and beyond - Anything by Raymond.E.Feist
    The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho
    Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan
    Kushiel's Dart - Jacueline Carey
    Lord of the Rings - J.R.R.Tolken

• Like Like x 1
  9. Nakid

Nakid Intrepidus Dux
    Unreal Officer Streamer

Unreal Credits:
    Wait till you start reading Book 4.... it was painful to read compared to the rest of them.

I honestly thought this series was very very average. I forced myself to read through the entire series and don't get me wrong, it did have some very cool parts, but they were few and far between. Kate Elliot redeemed herself with the Crossorads trilogy (which I read first) though. Go have a look at it, you'll see that she learned a lot from her previous books and it is a SHITLOAD better haha. She is also bringing out a 4th "bridge" book for it and after that there will be another trilogy.

10. Nakid

Nakid Intrepidus Dux
    Unreal Officer Streamer

Unreal Credits:

11. Nakid

Nakid Intrepidus Dux
    Unreal Officer Streamer

Unreal Credits:

12. Jetleet

Jetleet Administrator
    Unreal Officer Streamer

Unreal Credits:
    Books? The only books i read are study books. Imagination does the rest.

13. Nakid

Nakid Intrepidus Dux
    Unreal Officer Streamer

Unreal Credits:

14. Agamemnus

Agamemnus Administrator
    Unreal Officer

Unreal Credits:
    That last once you mentioned got some horrible reviews.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Nakid

Nakid Intrepidus Dux
    Unreal Officer Streamer

Unreal Credits:
    I would be interested in getting a collectors edition box set, where can I purchase such a gem?

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Nakid

Nakid Intrepidus Dux
    Unreal Officer Streamer

Unreal Credits:

17. Nakid

Nakid Intrepidus Dux
    Unreal Officer Streamer

Unreal Credits:

18. Nakid

Nakid Intrepidus Dux
    Unreal Officer Streamer

Unreal Credits:

19. Nakid

Nakid Intrepidus Dux
    Unreal Officer Streamer

Unreal Credits:

20. Nakid

Nakid Intrepidus Dux
    Unreal Officer Streamer

Unreal Credits:
    Yeh, sorry, I read the 4 books originally, not a trilogy [​IMG]

Interesting that there are new ones though, I'll have to reread it again I think, after I'm done with WoT.

Ender's Game was definitely my favourite from the series though. It just balanced everything perfectly and there was always something happening progression-wise.