Welcome to Unreal Aussies!

We are a community of like minded gamers in the Oceanic region.

We play a wide variety of games and provide a fun, social atmosphere for all our members!

Book The Riftwar Cycle by Raymond E. Feist

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Nakid, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Nakid

Nakid Intrepidus Dux
    Unreal Officer Streamer

Unreal Credits:
    Next I moved on to the Riftwar Cycle by Raymond E Feist. You may have heard of Magician, the very first book in the series which is considered one of the best fantasy books of all time. I would have to agree. He manages to capture the gritty war-torn land of Lord of the Rings with a theme of East (Asian culture) vs West (European culture). Add some magic and voila, you have a masterpiece.

[​IMG]

Magician is part of a trilogy called the Riftwar Saga. To be honest I didn't enjoy the 2nd and 3rd (Silverthorn and A Darkness at Sethanon) books anywhere near as much as I did Magician. The Riftwar Cycle consists of 10 series of books set in the same universe over a period of 200 years or so. There are a total of 29 books in the series. Some of these series also happen concurrently and overlap in many places. There is a guide as to the reading order here.

[​IMG]

I didn't completely enjoy every single book in the series equally, though I do have some favourites, whether they be a particular book or a whole trilogy. These are my top few books/trilogies in order:
    1. Magician
    2. Empire Trilogy
    3. Talon of the Silver Hawk
    4. Rise of a Merchant Prince
    5. Magician's End

This isn't to say I didn't devour the series, though these would have to be my favourite parts of the series. You'll also notice that Feist tends to experiment with his work, each of the books above are in the same universe, but have a completely different feel to it. For example, Magician has the LotR feel about it, while Rise of the Merchant Prince focuses more on business and a story of how Rupert Avery (Roo) becomes the richest merchant in Krondor (its much more exciting than it sounds, believe me!) and then again how Talon of the Silver Hawk has an unstoppable champion with no form of magic whatsoever and feels to me like a throw back on books based on a champion such as Druss the Legend.

Overall I can't recommend The Riftwar Cycle enough, even if you skip the optional content that doesn't contribute to the main story arc. It is an incredibly well put together series and I love the fact Feist wasn't afraid to experiment with it and see where it took him.