Welcome to Unreal Aussies!

We are a community of like minded gamers in the Oceanic region.

We play a wide variety of games and provide a fun, social atmosphere for all our members!

Book The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Pointy, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Pointy

Pointy HotS Officer
    Officer

Unreal Credits:
    The Kingkiller Chronicles is a series of books created by Patrick Rothfuss, and is set in the genre of high fantasy. Currently standing at two volumes (Bk I - The Name of the Wind , Bk II A Wise Man's Fear) this is an ongoing piece, though possibly limited to three volumes.

Our main protagonist in The Kingkiller Chronicles is the enigmatic Kvothe. As a man already notorious for his feats, Kvothe is engaged by a Chronicler to relate his past and to delve into the rumours and fanfare behind his name.

In Kvothe's own words:
    "I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day. I have talked to Gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep.
    You may have heard of me."

And let me tell you - it is a story worth hearing! Patrick Rothfuss has his own unique style of drawing you into Kvothe's life. From early training and tradegy, to surviving on the mean streets of a city, all of the story keeps your attention. Somehow even Kvothe's extensive university life is kept compelling and interesting - but not in the ways you might think.

Many of you may have read your fair share of fantasy fiction, but Rothfuss lays it out in a refreshing way, so that the old tropes are avoided, but you the world is still familiar and warm.

I have two warnings for any potential reader; be prepared to find yourself awake at 3am and still engaged and alert, and be prepared for an ultimate disappointment. Not because the story fails to reach any lofty goals, but because when you finish the second book you will be salivating for more. WHAT HAPPENS?!?! I NEED TO KNOW!!!

Would I recommend this series, absolutely. Get on board the Rothfuss train!
    I have no idea when the third book is due for release, but I am awaiting it with eager anticipation.

Pointy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Admin Like Admin Like x 1
  2. Rompa

Rompa WoW Officer
    Division Leader Streamer

Unreal Credits:
    Loved that when i first read it years ago then lost track cazz the last book still isnt out hate it when you have to wait so long

3. Nakid

Nakid Intrepidus Dux
    Unreal Officer Streamer

Unreal Credits:
    One of my favourite series and the character develops a lot throughout the series, especially in the first book. One of my favourite protagonists for sure.

4. Ashen V

Ashen V LoL Leader
    Division Leader

Unreal Credits:
    Absolutely amazing series so far, the wait for the 3rd book has been killer though and still no release date. 2nd book 'A Wise Mans Fear' was released 1 March 2011, I'd finished it by the morning of 3rd March 2011 and.. the long wait began. Rothfuss actually had all 3 written before publishing the first but started to feel the 3rd wasn't ready yet and has been revising and re-editing it for half a decade now.
    He's been noted as saying that this is definitely only a 3 book series but he would like to do more stories from the same world with a different focus later on.
    There is also a small novella I haven't been able to get my hands on yet about a character from the main story (Auri) called 'The Slow regard of Silent Things'

5. Nakid

Nakid Intrepidus Dux
    Unreal Officer Streamer

Unreal Credits:
    The Slow Regard of SIlent Things is awesome. It is completely different to any other book that you have ever read. You'll either love it dearly or hate it. It is only around 150 pages long though.