Welcome to Unreal Aussies!

We are a community of like minded gamers in the Oceanic region.

We play a wide variety of games and provide a fun, social atmosphere for all our members!

Satellite NBN and Online Gaming

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ashen V, May 10, 2016.

1. Ashen V

Ashen V LoL Leader
    Division Leader

Unreal Credits:
    Hi Everyone,

More curiosity than anything else, wondering if anyone is on the new NBN Satellite Internet and has tried online gaming

Since my suburb isn't getting fixed line NBN we're only able to get satellite (at this point)
    Having spent the last 2 years administrating the Satellite service for a distance education school my concerns about latency are.. high.
    Despite the fact NBN are adamant on people being able to access 25mb/s DL and 5mb/s UL there is always a delay with satellite - worried that sitting at 300-700ms will kill online gaming.

So if anyone has tried it out so far, let me know!
    If not I'll probably put my name down for it in a week and put results when things happen

2. sycoinc

sycoinc Administrator
    Unreal Officer

Unreal Credits:
    300-700 ms in most games especially ones that require fast reactions normally is a bad thing, I know WoW wise, 250-300ish is about the max i am personally comfortable getting to before having to look into it (back in the USA server location days of raiding) but for FPS or MOBAS I would say this would be an issue.

BUT as i haven't used satellite internet or nbn i cant say for sure.

3. Ashen V

Ashen V LoL Leader
    Division Leader

Unreal Credits:
    I can play WoW on 800ms, anything on LoL over 300 gets you dead fast.
    Probably just come down to me blowing some money on Satellite NBN to see what it's like.

4. Maraurder

Maraurder New Member

Unreal Credits:
    My area is slated for fixed wireless as well. Could be a huge boon...or a huge flop. Let me know if it goes any further?

5. Ashen V

Ashen V LoL Leader
    Division Leader

Unreal Credits:
    Fixed wireless I imagine you should be fine, I've spent a bit of time talking to one or another of the NBN reps for Department of Education in the NT so when it's fixed wireless you should be able to think more along the lines of 4G. Unluckily enough I don't qualify for a fixed line or fixed wireless so satellite is my only NBN option (at least they have no plans to develop another node and line out my way within the next 2 years)

6. Nakid

Nakid Intrepidus Dux
    Unreal Officer Streamer

Unreal Credits:
    They can reduce the ping 4 fold IF they use the latest satellite tech but I wouldn't hold my breath. Not sure if Battleping or the like would be of too much help either since its the primary connection itself that is the issue.