Welcome to Unreal Aussies!

We are a community of like minded gamers in the Oceanic region.

We play a wide variety of games and provide a fun, social atmosphere for all our members!

Nintendos New CONSOLE - Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sycoinc, Oct 21, 2016.

1. sycoinc

sycoinc Administrator
    Unreal Officer

Unreal Credits:
  2. Nakid

Nakid Intrepidus Dux
    Unreal Officer Streamer

Unreal Credits:
    Looks awesome, so fucking keen for this. This is due to drop in March 2017. Current price estimates in AUD is around $500-$550 according to a screw up by Costco displaying a price then removing the page relatively quickly.

Trailer displays the new Zelda game (Breath of the Wilds), a new Mario title, Splatoon and Skyrim. Think about that for a minute. Skyrim on a Nintendo console? I think we'll see the range of titles open up for this console and we'll see a lot of games that were previously the domain of Playstation/Xbox.

The main controller looks a little clunky, though I'm sure it will have a similar feel to the current Wii U gamepad.
    nintendo-switch-release-date-price-specs-trailer_thumb.jpg

The console has the ability to have the middle part of the controller removed and the screen placed between the controllers. This replaces the need for a handheld console for Nintendo and they can focus on one device. You can also remove the side controllers (or Joy-Con as they were patented) and prop the screen up with a kickstand and play that way. You can even use a Joy-Con each to play multiplayer (think Wii motes playing Mario Kart).

They are really trying to cater to a wide variety of playing situations and even have 4 Switches next to each other in multiplayer. The Switch is also moving back to the cartridge based games as opposed to discs - I doubt we'll see backwards compatibility again though they may release some games that didn't depend on the second screen as Virtual Console games.

nintendo-switch-tablet-joy-con_thumb.jpg

The Switch is running a custom Nvidia Tegra processor which includes an Nvidia GPU they say is comparable to a latest gen GeForce card. This is interesting since previously all consoles were running AMDs.

They are partnering with the following companies (be prepared to see Unity/Unreal Engine 4 integration for Switch):
    • 505 Games
    • Activision
    • Arc System Works
    • Atlus
    • Audiokinetic
    • Autodesk
    • Bandai Namco
    • Bethesda
    • Capcom
    • Codemasters
    • CRI Middleware
    • DeNA
    • Electronic Arts
    • Epic Games
    • Firelight Technologies
    • FromSoftware
    • Frozenbyte
    • GameTrust
    • Grasshopper Manufacturer
    • Gungho Online Entertainment.
    • Hamster Corporation
    • Havok
    • Inti Creates
    • Koei Tecmo Games
    • Konami Digital Entertainment
    • Level-5
    • Marvelous
    • Maximum Games
    • Nippon Ichi Software
    • Parity Bit
    • PlatinumGames
    • RAD Game Tools
    • RecoChoku
    • SEGA Games
    • Silicon Studio Corporation
    • Spike Chunsoft Co
    • Square Enix
    • Starbreeze Studios
    • Take-Two Interactive Software
    • Telltale Games
    • THQ Nordic
    • Tokyo RPG Factory
    • TT Games
    • UBbisoft
    • Ubitus
    • Unity Technologies
    • Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
    • Web Technology Corp

#2 Nakid, Oct 21, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  3. sycoinc

sycoinc Administrator
    Unreal Officer

Unreal Credits:
    Yeah, it also looks a little more kid friendly for my daughter + portable so that's a plus! lolz keen to see how it turns out.

4. Fracture

Fracture Member

Unreal Credits:
    I didn't know what to expect at first, I'd heard the rumors. 'Oh it's going to be some sort of console/handheld hybrid' (correct) 'Oh it's cartridge based' 'Oh it's going to be called the Nintendo NX' etc. So after seeing this, am I excited... no!
    Don't get me wrong, it's totally pleased some people, but i'm just like meh...
    I love Nintendo, just not completely sold on this idea.
    I'll probably still buy it, just not on launch anymore, I'll wait till the bugs get ironed out first.

5. sycoinc

sycoinc Administrator
    Unreal Officer

Unreal Credits:
  6. Nakid

Nakid Intrepidus Dux
    Unreal Officer Streamer

Unreal Credits:
    I'm really keen for it honestly. They are obviously targeting the adult 20-30 age range for this console. They've shown the enhanced edition of Skyrim off on it so it can obviously run a detailed game that is directed at adults. It can run Unity/Unreal Engine 4 games. You can use it as a handheld and a normal console.

Battery life is going to be an issue I think. we haven't really seen anything on the sides of the handheld screen to indicate a charging port or anything, though I'd say its on the bottom somewhere (and would align with the dock).

7. aladeleana

aladeleana New Member

Unreal Credits:
    where do i get one? omg

8. Asuka

Asuka New Member
    Division Leader

Unreal Credits:
    Hopefully its not too expensive, got a preorder down already. Super keen