Welcome to Unreal Aussies!

We are a community of like minded gamers in the Oceanic region.

We play a wide variety of games and provide a fun, social atmosphere for all our members!

Muscle memory with aiming & performance [B+ essay]

Discussion in 'Overwatch' started by FusSionzZ97, Nov 20, 2017.

1. FusSionzZ97

FusSionzZ97 Overwatch Officer
    Division Leader Team Captain

Unreal Credits:

So I was trying out different sensitivities the other day which is something I don't do and I came across something interesting. I'm going to quickly roll over it and talk about day to day performance, mouse sensitivities and other things I have no idea about xd.

Finding your sensitivity.
    It's mostly personal preference but usually a slower sens = higher accuracy as it leads to less room for errors and having a high sens will result you moving over a large distance with very little mouse movement which makes tracking and micro-adjustments in your aim very difficult.

Its common for everyone to play at a very high sensitivity by default so try lowering it. Don't get too frustrated with your new sensitivity, it takes time to adapt... your human!

Sensitivity Reference & Measuring your sens.
    I'm going to refer to 2 players with fantastic aim: Kephrii & Surefour.
    To calculate someones sensitivity I use this handy tool. (Overwatch Specific) https://jscalc.io/calc/IeBnNvGDKUIIPRmR
    For other games check out: https://www.mouse-sensitivity.com/

By inputting the mouse DPI and in-game sens you'll get a "Sensitivity in cm/360" result.

Kephrii: (Widowmaker)
    cm/360: 43.295
    Surefour: (McCree, Tracer, Widowmaker, Genji)
    cm/360: 27.989

My life story. (Performance)
    We all have our good and bad days, days where we pop off and deal with situations with ease... and then there are times where u feel like a potato literally trying harder than when u were popping off the other day but still failing.
    Besides considering your skill level what causes this? Good/bad teammates? Good/bad opponents? Having a good night sleep? Having a good brekkie m8?
    I believe its the ability to focus; to out aim, out position and predict your opponent(s) to have every advantage. But still, there are many other factors in play that will result in the way you are playing. (Sleep, mood, food, missing @Dynovnrks )

But again your ability to focus will differ day to day. That's why it's hard to call "Who's the best widow/genji/mccree" In the top leagues. Kephrii's widow will pop off one day while Surefours the next. It's consistency that plays a big factor in player skill.

Muscle Memory
    Now the whole reason I wrote this meaningless post.
    I was trying a way slower sensitivity to see how my accuracy would be affected. I went from 27.709cm to 42.629cm (this is a huge jump) and just practised HS only skirmish bots until the lobby expired. After this, I adapted and played on. I had no issues with aiming however found it very obnoxious trying to do quick 180's (i like to look around a lot).
    So today before I played anything I reverted my sens and went straight into the training thingy and my long term muscle memory kicked in and it felt just perfect and natural. The video at the top shows this :p

tl;dr Today I instantly adapted to my original sensitivity after spending a whole night adapting to my super low sens.
    I'm not sure if this makes me a robot but hey... practice makes perfect

Tryhard section.
    I for one, am all about having the most optimized setup to eliminate any factors that might be crippling your play. From mouse pads to graphical settings to the chair your sitting in.

Computer Hardware:
    Having good hardware so you're not getting inconsistent frame rate drops and reaching way above your monitors refresh rate (even if you are using a 60hz panel) I average around 200-250FPS in OW. I also use a 144hz monitor.

Input lag & game performance:
    This is also tied in with PC hardware. Having the best possible framerate also reduces input delay. I run the game at the lowest possible settings (Resolution always at 100% though) and even tweak configs for games that allow it lol. Disabling vsync is a must, running in full screen, running no overlays, tweaking windows performance settings, high performance power option and a bunch of other things that you might not think of lol

Peripherals:
    Monitor: I can't recommend anything lower than 144hz for FPS gaming full stop. This is the best possible upgrade you can make if u can achieve 144+ fps.
    Mouse: Having a decent quality optical mouse (ones that come with firmware & no red laser underneath lol) should be fine. I use a deathadder elite @ 1000hz Polling rate.
    Mousepad: Mousepad to provide sufficient room to move around. I like cloth ones that provide smooth friction :emoji_slight_smile:
    Headset: whatever provides quality surround sound
    Keyboard: doesn't matter

Also, don't expect to make these changes or upgrades and expect to instantly win... Remember practice makes perfect.

Anyways hats off to you if u read this far lmao heres a widow play

Happy to answer any questions...
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Admin Like Admin Like x 1
  2. Geoffickles

Geoffickles New Member

Unreal Credits:
    I play on a 60hz monitor, borderless windowed at high graphics, thoughts?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. HesDeadJim

HesDeadJim Member

Unreal Credits:
    @FusSionzZ97 I've had a bad nights sleep, AND missed breakfast this morning. Will I be ok for tonights Widowmaker Snipe-Off?
    Also, using potato sensitivity...

• True Story True Story x 1
  4. sycoinc

sycoinc Administrator
    Unreal Officer

Unreal Credits:
    seen an article with the pros of sensitivity all way down and use whole arm to aim and move as better

5. Nakid

Nakid Intrepidus Dux
    Unreal Officer Streamer

Unreal Credits:
    Great write up @FusSionzZ97, B-.

For a more behind the scenes, technical and Overwatch specific setup for this, check out my post Input Delay and You.

6. FusSionzZ97

FusSionzZ97 Overwatch Officer
    Division Leader Team Captain

Unreal Credits:
    Enable V-sync to reduce screen tearing. Try just Windowed mode it's nice to see what game ur playing. Also try upscaling ur render settings to 200% essentially playing at 4k downscaled.

i....i dont know what to say :'(

http://on-winning.com/overwatch-pro-sensitivity-settings-setups-monitor-mouse-keyboard-headset/
    im not sure if i understand the whole wrist and arm moving thing.. doesnt everyone move their arm to move greater distances but just ur wrist for tiny adjustments...

Thanks master