Welcome to Unreal Aussies!

We are a community of like minded gamers in the Oceanic region.

We play a wide variety of games and provide a fun, social atmosphere for all our members!

Book Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Nakid, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Nakid

Nakid Intrepidus Dux
    Unreal Officer Streamer

Unreal Credits:
    After finishing the Wheel of Time I immediately went on to the Riftwar Cycle, though I'd never read any of Brandon Sanderson's other books. So I ordered the Mistborn trilogy while I was still reading the Riftwar Cycle. If you haven't read any of Brandon Sanderson's work, you honestly need to go out and buy this trilogy right now.

[​IMG]

The book starts in a distant post-apocalyptic future type world where during the day, there are constant ashfalls across the entire world and during the night there is always a dense mist. For the past 1000 years there has been an immortal emperor called the Lord Ruler. There are 2 social classes, the nobles who are sometimes born with one of eight magical Allomancy powers (the ability to create different effects and "burning" a certain metal, eg. burning tin would increase all of your senses dramatically). These nobles are called Mistings, while incredibly rarely there are people born with all 8 powers called Mistborn. There is then another class called the skaa (a peasant class) who are basically slaves to their noble masters. The story revolves around a female protagonist skaa called Min and how the rebellion starts to overthrow the Lord Ruler and end the 1000 year reign of the Final Empire.

This entire trilogy is brilliant and Sanderson is literally a magician when it comes to writing about unique ways of using magic and utilising it in his stories. I instantly bought almost every single one of his books after reading The Final Empire (Book 1 in the Mistborn series). The Mistborn trilogy is complete, though a new trilogy has been started with one book out so far called The Alloy of Law.

2. SileoMortis

SileoMortis Member

Unreal Credits:
    Brandon Sanderson is an incredible writer, but have not seeing this trilogy! Will definitely have to purchase it. I absolutely idolize he was requested to finish Wheel of Time; he continued Robert Jordans work perfectly, and can't wait to read this series now!

3. Nakid

Nakid Intrepidus Dux
    Unreal Officer Streamer

Unreal Credits:
    Since I wrote this (probably ~2 years ago), there have been a few more books that have come out.

There are currently:
    • 3 books in the original Mistborn trilogy
    • 3 books in the Wax and Wayne series (set ~200 years after the original trilogy) with another book forthcoming
    • A companion eBook novella to the original trilogy called Secret History
    I've only read up to the first Wax and Wayne book but the others are on my ever growing list of "to-read" books :p

4. Ashen V

Ashen V LoL Leader
    Division Leader

Unreal Credits:
    I've read Mistborn and Wax and Wayne, Sanderson definitely growing out this universe going forward into the industrialized future of the Mistborn series. I definitely enjoyed Original Mistborn more but have read both series several times so far and could recommend trying them out as well as a lot of Sandersons other works, Reckoners and Stormlight Archives especially as well as Elantris and Warbreaker. Sanderson's not afraid to really delve into his own universe mechanics in each series which gives them an interesting feel :emoji_slight_smile: