Welcome to Unreal Aussies!

We are a community of like minded gamers in the Oceanic region.

We play a wide variety of games and provide a fun, social atmosphere for all our members!

uA Official Minecraft Server Interest

Discussion in 'General Games Discussion' started by Nakid, Oct 6, 2016.

?

Would you be interested in playing on a uA MC server?

1. Yes (Modded - suggest below)

13 vote(s)
    76.5%
  2. Yes (Vanilla)

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. No (Care to explain?)

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. Nakid

Nakid Intrepidus Dux
    Unreal Officer Streamer

Unreal Credits:
    Hi guys,

Since the interest in Ark has declined over the past few months, we have a large amount of resources that are virtually unused on our gaming server. I'm floating the idea that we could use this to create a Minecraft server and I'd like to gauge interest from the community. Please vote in the poll above and post below if you have any suggestions! Give us as much detail as possible :emoji_slight_smile:

Thanks,
    Nakid.

2. sycoinc

sycoinc Administrator
    Unreal Officer

Unreal Credits:
    For me personally no, BUT if it is popular I would suggest modded minecraft with either spigot mods (bukkit and stuff like that) which require each person to only have the base minecraft game and thats it as all mods are on the server side OR Forge mods which can be downloaded by the forge launcher and needs both client and server to have them installed.

For the community i would also say free open modded world or goal orientated server not just building or basic survival... so modded survival.

That said, there are many games similar to minecraft that are on steam that offer multiplayer services that have a higher age range and better graphics that our community may like.

3. Ashen V

Ashen V LoL Leader
    Division Leader

Unreal Credits:
    Having spent more time on Minecraft than almost all my other games combined I can say officially interested.
    Especially remembering the fun I had on the last MC server uA had :emoji_grinning:

No matter where you go with Mods you'll have some grumbles, not everything is for everyone.
    I've got more experience with FTB and ATL than Forge,
    I've played through Sky Factory 1 and 2 doing what I can to figure out their associative mods and spent time in Natural Magic and Desolate Wasteland as well as messing around in various FTB Packs like Direwolf Packs, Lite, Ultimate, Infinity.
    Alright with Applied Energistics 2, Thaumcraft, Reliquary, Magical Crops, Draconic Evolution, MCMMO, Tinkers Construct, Runic Dungeons, Twilight Forest and some other bits and pieces.
    Very basic knowledge of Witchery, Computercraft, Bibliocraft, Botania, Agricraft.

I have no idea what mixes should go together for uA in terms of Mods, If I remember rightly Fotamecus had a huge amount to do with it last time in terms of figuring out what works with what and helping implement and run things and he did a pretty good job of it, if we can get someone/people like that again this shouldn't have much trouble taking off

4. Mursaat

Mursaat Officer
    Officer

Unreal Credits:
    I've played a little of Minecraft, so I don't bring a lot of knowledge to the table.

But I think it would be fun to do some of the mods which involve quests/adventuring dungeons as a group.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Agamemnus

Agamemnus Administrator
    Unreal Officer

Unreal Credits:
    No, because everybody should play HotS.

6. Kroaken

Kroaken New Member

Unreal Credits:
    Fan-tucking-fastic! I would certainly recommend looking into the Tekkit mod and the others that synergise well with it: having machines etc. is great.

7. FusSionzZ97

FusSionzZ97 Overwatch Officer
    Division Leader Team Captain

Unreal Credits:
    I recently played this modpack with a group of friends while we waited for overwatch to release :emoji_grinning:

http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/the-1710-pack.453902

http://the-1710-pack.com

It's probably the most mod filled up to date modpack, check out the mod list it's got everyone's favorites. I liked it more then tekkit because it's got a bunch of survival and exploration mods. The one mod I would remove is the morpher mod which allows u to transform to any animal after you've killed it with no limit, feels really cheap and ruins the experience (because u can transform into a bat and fly anywhere).

We had it for a month and didn't run into any big issues server wise. We just setup an auto restart every 24hrs to keep it fresh

#7 FusSionzZ97, Oct 9, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  8. Sherdow

Sherdow New Member

Unreal Credits:
    I would certainly be interested, and prefer modded. Can't say I have any recommendations, but I will be willing to assist where ever required.

9. Nakid

Nakid Intrepidus Dux
    Unreal Officer Streamer

Unreal Credits:
    So it looks like we have a good base to start this off. Does anyone have experience running a MC server or know someone that would be willing?

10. sycoinc

sycoinc Administrator
    Unreal Officer

Unreal Credits:
    Running as in hosting it and managing plugins or as overseeing the server? I use to co-run a creative server and been on and off helping manage it since 2010 check it out play.athion.net (or mc.athion.net, i forget).

So can offer some pointers to an extent.

11. Nakid

Nakid Intrepidus Dux
    Unreal Officer Streamer

Unreal Credits:
    I would install the base server, but after that its up to whoever is running it. I tried getting in contact with Fotamecus but haven't heard back from him.

12. Moph

Moph New Member

Unreal Credits:
    Check out CoreProtect for block logging and grief rollbacks - incredibly powerful and pretty light on resources.

Other than that, your modpacks depend on what audience you are trying to attract. Personally I've always been a fan of vanilla-ish survival but others like mini-games etc, so there's no 'right' answer as to what kind of server you run. Survival is certainly the easiest because you pretty much just load up a server and let players go to it, but some sensible additions such as Towny (land protection) and WorldBorder (limit map size) go a long way towards limiting grief.