Welcome to Unreal Aussies!

We are a community of like minded gamers in the Oceanic region.

We play a wide variety of games and provide a fun, social atmosphere for all our members!

"Favour of the Shooter" - Blizzard Talks Netcode

Discussion in 'Overwatch' started by Nakid, May 25, 2016.

1. Nakid

Nakid Intrepidus Dux
    Unreal Officer Streamer

Unreal Credits:
    For those of you so inclined, this 17 minute video explains the method Blizzard is using to calculate player and projectile positioning in Overwatch.

The basic rule is that you do something on your client, it happens on your client and the command is sent to the server. If the server agrees, you continue, if it doesn't, it puts you back where you belong (rubber banding).

On the opposite side of things: other clients. They basically see a simulated PAST version of YOU. How far back this goes is entirely based on their connection with the server. The purpose of this is so that when you are lagging, you don't need to lead your shot. If you shoot another person, it then checks the shot with the server. If the other player (ie. you) hasn't done anything to avoid damage or move quickly (eg. Pharah jump, Winston shield), the server accepts this as a hit. This can be different to what is on your own screen.

For example, last night I had a Roadhog continually hook me around corners, over and over and over again. On my screen I was around the corner, on his screen I wasn't. Add to that the added delay of the hook "projectile". He most likely had a higher ping to the server and on his screen, he hit me before I could get around the corner. Since I didn't use an ability to mitigate this, it counted as a hit.

Suffice to say they are working hard on reducing the gap between client - server - client.

They have a good visual representation in the video of this in action too. I actually really appreciate the openness with which they are approaching this.

#1 Nakid, May 25, 2016
    Last edited: May 25, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Agamemnus

Agamemnus Administrator
    Unreal Officer

Unreal Credits:
    All I heard was "custom servers".

:emoji_slight_smile:

3. sycoinc

sycoinc Administrator
    Unreal Officer

Unreal Credits:
    customs servers 200% extra damage, all 1 hero (bastion)

4. Nakid

Nakid Intrepidus Dux
    Unreal Officer Streamer

Unreal Credits:
    They host all the servers still, even if they are custom. There is no dedicated option.